The Plains, Virginia
As featured in the beautifully written book by Kathryn Masson, STABLES, this Stable, arrived by a mile long private driveway, is true Hunt Country architecture. Sited on 115 Acres of meticulously maintained, stone walled, rolling land is a world-class equestrian facility designed by Thomas Beach, AIA. Bordered by hundreds of acres protected by Conservation Easement, this farm is 1.8 miles from Historic Middleburg and in the much-desired Orange County Hunt Territory. The property has an unusually abundant water supply with two deep wells, one of which is Artesian that continuously overflows into a tributary of Little River, which runs the entire south-southeast property line.
Built in 1999 around a manicured courtyard with planted hardwood and specimen trees, the graceful U-shaped complex is a study in symmetry. The architecture and construction use stone from the farm and natural materials, which blend in with the countryside and look and feel of having been in existence for centuries.
Both wings of the U structure are connected by a covered breezeway lined in rubber tile flooring. The left side of the U design encompasses an 80’ x 180’ lighted indoor riding arena with white painted board walls and ceiling. Connected to the arena is an office and meeting room with observation windows overlooking the arena. This area also includes a full kitchen and a bathroom including tub and shower.
To the back of the U design are guest quarters including two bedrooms, large living/dining room, full kitchen, bath and private deck. On this level is a generous sized exercise room with matted flooring accessed from the apartment or by separate stairway. On the lower level, beneath the apartment and accessed from the back are four open bays for autos and equipment and an additional closed and propane heated workshop bay.
As one enters through carriage doors into the right wing of the complex, you step into the reception hall and another era. The ceiling and lower portion of the walls are richly stained and finished with five coats of marine varnish. Fresco Seco was applied to the upper portion of the walls of the reception hall and main level of the residence creating a rich and aged appearance. The central, octagon portion of this wing is floored with red brick in a herringbone pattern. The walls of the 14’ wide center aisle of the stable are also of the horizontal, wide pine boards stained and varnished. Included in this wing with twelve stalls is the heated feed room, bathroom, heated blanket room, air conditioned laundry room with commercial washer and dryer, air conditioned tack room with custom milled bridle and saddle racks, tremendous hay storage area, and two heated storage rooms. All are accessed by electronic coded doors for security.
From the octagonal brick reception hall, enter the two-story gathering room of the residence with its floor to ceiling stone fireplace with heart pine mantle and flanked by bookshelves. Again, a feeling of permanence has been created by the Fresco Seco walls, dark stained wood flooring, antique chandeliers and antique wrought iron balcony railing. Cozy sitting areas are on each side of the large dining/reception/library table in the center of the gathering room. Two sets of 8’ French doors open to the two level slate patio. The award winning residence galley kitchen is small and finished with high gloss mahogany and stainless steel. The appliances include a Miele Dishwasher, SubZero refrigerator, instant hot water, disposal, microwave/convection oven, Gaganeau stove top and oven. The main floor bath fixtures are by Waterworks and floor and shower surrounds are of Italian Tile.
The upper level of the suite has its own sitting area/library overlooking the gathering room. A Juliet balcony connects to the master bedroom suite. In the middle of the balcony, French doors allow access to the stable octagon just outside below and also overlooks the inside gathering room area. The bedroom, with views of Little River and the outdoor ring, is wonderfully private with its sumptuous dressing area and bath with steam shower and whirlpool tub and skylights. Included in this area are the morning kitchen and laundry as well as quick, private access to the upstairs loft storage. All interior walls in the residence, first and second floors, are built with a noise abatement system.
Additional housing includes: Two charming detached homes, each offering an upper level 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment as well as a lower level 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment. One of the homes also offers a two car garage, above which is an office and full bath.
Enjoy Al fresco dining on the two level slate patio which is accessed from the gathering room French doors. Overlooking the outdoor riding arena and the magnificent grounds, this area has been designed with the same attention to detail as the interior including stone seating walls, pergola, a running fountain and wet bars with thick stone counters, under counter refrigerator, and stainless sinks. Underneath the lower patio level is a large area for event catering with large counter and sink, and general storage area.
With extraordinary privacy, Rallywood Farm is masterfully designed to foster quiet, graceful, country living as well as large gatherings. Whether you were born in this area or arriving now, this farm will draw you into the essence of Middleburg either on horse or on foot.
Various Photographs by: Paul Rocheleau
|MLS# FQ9724482||PRICE: $4,400,000|
INTERIOR HORSE FACILITIES:
· Large heated reception hall
· Twelve Stalls (10-12x12, 1-14x12, 1-16x12)
Each stall has casting bars on all walls, two-3 speed fans, multiple electrical outlets, overhead light, and cross ties; additional heat lamp and window into residence in the large stall for foaling.
· 14’ wide center aisle with asphalt and brick flooring
· Bandage boxes
· Blanket racks outside each stall
· Water hydrants near all stalls
· Show trunk/accessories vestibule with large hidden storage closet
· Heated blanket room with special hanging blanket racks, shelving, commercial washer large enough to wash 3 heavy blankets simultaneously, commercial dryer with similar capability and special venting
· Air conditioned laundry room with washer and dryer for tack cleaning and washing saddle pads and grooming rags
· Tack Room: Air conditioned and wallpapered, custom milled bridle and saddle racks, track lighting, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator and bathroom. This area is accessed by electronic coded door lock
· Heated storage room (extra tack, etc.) accessed by electronic coded door lock
· Central vacuum system in reception hall, trunk room, vestibule, tack room, store room for extra tack, laundry room and two wash stalls with heat lamps and fans
· Panasonic intercom system throughout
· Fire alarm system throughout stable and residence
· Interior stairway to hayloft over stable
· Large storage room in loft accessed by electronic lock door
· Hayloft over stable with two large attic fans for excellent ventilation
· All stable rooms (first and second floors) are enclosed by rodent proofed walls
· Breezeway attached to stable accessible via rubber tile flooring to indoor arena entered by automatic opening and closing door
SYSTEMS: STABLE & RESIDENCE
· Water: Two wells, one Artesian.
· Hot Water: Electric
· Heating: Electric
· Cooling: air conditioned-3 zones
· Fire Alarm
· Central Vacuum
· Three above ground fuel tanks, diesel, regular unleaded and super unleaded
· Generator for water, refrigeration and room lighting systems.
EXTERIOR HORSE FACILITIES:
· 180’ x 80’ Indoor Bluestone/Permaflex Riding Arena
· Trailer shed and jump storage
· 300’ x 150’ Exterior Bluestone/Permaflex Ring
· Nine paddocks
· Two lay-up pens of graduating dimensions
· Extensive trails and ride out
Large propane heated equipment barn with 3 over sized open bays and 3 closed machine shop bays, interior workshop, ½ bath, heated paint storage, and run-in shed with 3 oversized stalls having propane heat and fans. The upper level is open for additional hay and other storage.
ADDITIONAL TENANT HOUSING:
Two charming detached homes, each offering an upper level 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment as well as a lower level 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment. One of the homes also offers a two car garage, above which is an office and full bath.
Office: (540) 687-5522
Offer subject to errors, omissions, prior sale, change of price or withdrawal without notice.
Information contained herein is deemed reliable but is not so warranted nor is it otherwise guaranteed.